USA Travel Information

Important Information Regarding Entry into the USA

Please read this page carefully.


British Citizens need to apply online for an ESTA at least 72 hours prior to travel if you are entering the USA on any form of transport including Airplane and Cruise Ships. Most visitors to the US are required to have a US visa in their passport. Under the Visa Waiver Programme, full British Citizen passport holders with the right to abode in the UK will be able to travel on the scheme by completing a visa waiver form which is handed to US immigration on arrival.

It is now compulsory to provide similar information on a secure web site prior to travel. This system is called the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

Action Required by You

To apply please click on the link below:

Follow the step-by-step guide to complete your ESTA form. On completion, print out the confirmation number and take it with you when you travel.

Important Notes:

Please refer to your confirmation or hotel voucher for details of your first hotel (if this is not available to you please call us). In an instance where there is a choice of hotels, enter the first one as this can easily be amended when you receive your joining instructions with the confirmed hotel. For cruises where a flight into the USA is required to join a ship, please put the name of the ship.

A charge of $14 will be levied per person.

Applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, up to 72 hours prior to departure, however, it is recommended that this is applied for at least 10 weeks prior to travel.

Should you renew your passport from the time you have completed the ESTA process, a new application will need to be made.

ESTA is valid for 2 years or the validity of the passport, whichever is shorter.

The completed ESTA application can be updated at any time via the website and is valid for multiple entries, therefore if the itinerary or first hotel change, this is easily amended at any time up to 2 years after application.

An authorised ESTA is not a visa and does not guarantee you entrance to the USA, it simply pre-screens all visa waiver travellers prior to arrival.

ESTA is applicable for all passengers entering by sea or air into the USA (including transit en-route to another destination).

You must ensure that you obtain an approved ESTA authorisation prior to travel, as you will not be able to travel without one. Check-in USA Ltd. regrets that it can not accept responsibility for any passenger who has not obtained the correct documentation prior to travel.

USA - changes to driving laws in Florida

Updated: 13 February 2013, 16:40 There has been a change to the driving laws for Florida.

The Statute 2012/322.04 came into effect on 1 January 2013 but had not been enforced until now.

It is now a legal requirement, when driving in Florida, for non US residents to have in their possession an International Driving Permit in addition to the driving licence from their own country. In addition, drivers from the UK will need to have both parts of their driving license (photograph and paper copy).

As this new legal requirement is only just starting to be enforced, a number of car hire companies may not have updated their websites or literature yet with the new requirements.

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, have advised that should drivers of rental cars in Florida be involved in an accident, or traffic offence or any other reason for interaction with the Florida Highway Patrol, they will be required to have an International Driving Permit in their possession and if stopped, law enforcement may be applied.

International driving permit application

The International driving permit can be obtained at a cost of £5.50 from the Post Office, the Post Office website, RAC and AA. Important note: if customers go into the post office in person, they will be able to obtain their permit immediately. For customers due to travel imminently, this may be the best option. Please see the following website links for further information on applying for the permit.

Post Office


The AA